Diabetes is a disease that causes high blood sugar levels. If left untreated it can lead to kidney, heart, eyes and nerves problems. Our body starts getting damaged years before we come to know that we are diabetic. So, let’s learn what it is and how to control diabetes.
When we eat food, it is converted into simple sugar called glucose and then it is released in blood. Glucose supplies energy to the cells of our body. Now, Insulin hormone made by pancreas, transports glucose from blood into the cells.
This transportation fails to happen in people suffering from diabetes and as a result, blood sugar levels start increasing in our blood leading to further problems.
Diabetes is of 2 types:
- Type 1 Diabetes OR Juvenile diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes OR Adult-onset diabetes
In type 2 diabetes, blood sugar levels in our body increase when the insulin produced is of no help (also known as insulin resistance).
Risk Factors of Type 2 Diabetes
People above the age of 40 with bad eating habits and no workout routine are more at risk of developing diabetes. But nowadays due to increased intake of junk food, mobile and computer use and zero physical activities children and teenagers are also being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes
If you are experiencing any of the below symptoms, please get your blood sugar levels checked:
- Increased urination
- Dry mouth
- Feeling thirsty all the time
- Increased hunger
- Wound not healing
- Long time infection
- Fungal infections
- Weight loss
- Weight gain
- Numbness and burning in hands and feet
Levels and Normal Range of Diabetes
|Stage||Hba1C||Fasting blood sugar|
|Normal||Less than 5.7||Less than 100|
|Prediabetes||5.7 – 6.5||100 – 125|
|Diabetes||More than 6.5||More than 126|
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin resistance: When insulin hormone produced is not able to transport glucose into the cells. This is called insulin resistance which leads to increase of glucose in blood.
- Less production of insulin: Due to insulin resistance, the pancreas works more hard to produce insulin. This damages the cells of the pancreas and reduces the amount of insulin produced and increases the blood sugar levels.
- Obesity or overweight: Increased intake of food causes fat storage that further causes insulin resistance and increases the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Bad eating habits: Intake of refined, junk and processed food leads to high blood sugar levels.
- No physical activity: Less or no exercise increases body weight, insulin resistance and blood sugar levels.
Home Remedies for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cinnamon (Dalchini):
- It is the magical spice that helps in diabetes management by reducing blood sugar levels, especially after meal sugars. If anyone having high post meal sugars (PP sugars) then have cinnamon water 30 minutes after your meal.
- Boil 2 grams of cinnamon in 1 cup of water and drink.
- Drinking a good amount of water in a day helps in removing extra glucose through urine and maintains sugar levels within the range. So, how to control diabetes?
- Drink 1 glass of water before every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) to keep your blood sugars within the range.
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi dana):
- It is one of the best foods for diabetes control. Eating methi seeds daily reduces the speed of digestion and absorption of sugars that further helps in diabetes treatment.
- Soak overnight 1 tbsp of methi seeds in 1 glass of water. Drink water early in the morning and chew methi seeds.
- Indian gooseberry (Amla):
- The oldest and most effective way for management of diabetes is having one amla everyday. It helps in maintaining blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Steam amla with a pinch of salt, turmeric and water. Add 1 amla everyday in your lunch.
- Gram flour (Besan):
- Besan is a low glycemic index food that manages blood sugar levels especially post meal blood sugar levels.
- Add ¼ portion of besan in wheat flour for making chapatis to manage post meal blood sugar levels.
Best Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
At Zyla, we help you with personalised management of type 2 Diabetes through a unique Triple Combination Therapy (TCT) approach of Medical nutrition therapy, Naturo therapy and Allopathic therapy.
- A regional and customised diet to know what all food you can have to control diabetes.
- To understand portion size of particular food and how to divide meals throughout the day.
- Easy to do home exercises to reduce sugars, weight, belly fat, numbness of foot and body pains.
Connect with us:
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel: https://bit.ly/2o19OzE to watch videos on health and health-related conditions.
- Find us on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/zylahealth
- Join our Facebook community, “Defeating Diabetes” and get daily updates:https://bit.ly/2nloObl
- Find us on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/zylahealth/
- Visit our website:https://www.zyla.in/
- Talk to us on WhatsApp — https://goo.gl/kjofP